Friday, June 14, 2019

Cardinals Finish Job Against Diaz To Steal Win From Mets

The Cardinals celebrate in their dugout. Photo by Jason Schott.

On Friday night, the Mets and Cardinals picked up where they left off on Thursday night with the game tied at 4 and the Mets coming to bat in the bottom of the ninth inning.

Carlos Martinez was on for the Cardinals, and he retired the Mets in order, as Todd Frazier grounded to shortstop, Wilson Ramos struck out, and Amed Rosario grounded to second base.

Mets closer Edwin Diaz, who blew the save by allowing two runs in the ninth on Thursday night, "stayed in" to pitch the 10th inning.

St. Louis picked up right where they left off, as pinch-hitter Yairo Munoz singled, stole second, and moved to third on a groundout by Matt Carpenter.

With the infield in, Paul DeJong poked a it through the left side to score Munoz and make it 5-4 St. Louis. 

Diaz then got Paul Goldschmidt to hit into a 6-4-3 double play to get out of the inning, but he still left the field to a chorus of boos.

The final line for Diaz read as follows: 2 innings pitched, 4 hits, 3 runs (all earned), 1 walk, 1 strikeout.

The Cardinals turned to their closer, Jordan in the bottom of the 10th, and he made quick work of the Mets as he got Carlos Gomez to ground out to third, pinch-hitter Adeiny Hechavarria to ground to short, and Jeff McNeil to ground to second.

The resumption of the game began at 6:10 and it ended 18 minutes later with a Cardinals victory, as they improved to 34-33. The Mets' quest to reach .500 was delayed yet again, as they fell to 33-35.

Below is a condensed version of what happened on Thursday night: 

This game began on Thursday night with Jacob deGrom delivered a great start for the Mets, as he threw seven innings, allowing just two runs on six hits and no walks, with eight strikeouts on 116 pitches, but he ended up with a no decision.

deGrom allowed an RBI single to Matt Carpenter in the third to give the Cardinals an early 1-0 lead.

The Mets responded in the bottom of the third when Michael Conforto hit a two-run home run to right-center field to make it 2-1 Mets.

St. Louis tied it at 2 in the sixth on a solo home run to center from Paul DeJong.

In the bottom of the sixth, the Mets rallied, as Alonso hit a ground-rule double down the left field line and came home to score on a single from Dominic Smith to make it 3-2 Mets. Amed Rosario then hit a sacrifice fly later in the inning to give them a 4-2 edge.

It stayed that way until the ninth inning, which was delayed by what was officially a nine-minute delay.

Diaz came on and he allowed Kolten Wong to get an RBI single off the fence in left, and he came around to score on a Jarrison Bader hit into the left field corner to tie it at 4. Bader was then thrown out trying to reach second base on the hit.

Before the bottom of the ninth started, they tried to fix the field with the drying agent once again, but when it looked to be futile, the tarp came out at 10:04 and the game was suspended for the night 45 minutes later.

To read the full report on Thursday night's game, please click here:

No comments:

Post a Comment